Tips for Busy Chihuahua Owners – How to Reduce Separation Anxiety
Separation anxiety is very common amongst the chihuahua breed. Chihuahuas are social creatures and will often experience anxiety when their owner/companion leaves AND returns. One of the most common contributors to chihuahua separation anxiety is when his/her owner works full time. Below are some helpful tips on how to keep your little one entertained and comfortable while you are away.
These tips will help reduce your chihuahua’s separation anxiety and give you peace that your little one is able to live independently.
- White Noise:
White noise will provide comfort to your chi. Think about it from your perspective. If you were home all day alone wouldn’t you listen to music or watch television?
White noise ideas:
- Make a play list on your computer and leave it on during the day.
- If you have an electric keyboard that has a demo selections, leave it on. Classical music is usually played on the demos, which may also enhance cognitive development, especially if your chi is still a puppy.
- Buy a dog DVD. Yes, there is such a thing as a dog DVD. Most of them play natural dog sounds and shows dogs socializing.
- Leave the television on. When I leave the television on for my chihuahuas I typically leave it on the Animal Planet channel.
Bones can entertain chihuahuas for hours! Make sure that the bones you buy are not basted as they will stain. I also recommend Nylabones which are healthy and last weeks!
- Meat in the middle bones:
Another type of entertaining bones are those with “meat in the middle”. Your chi can smell the meat in the middle and will be motivated to work on the bone until he gets the meat – this can often take hours!
- Scavenger Hunt:
Leave your dog a treat (small treats) scavenger hunt. Place a small treat on, under, or around each of his toys and around the house. This is a fun game for your chi to play and it may take him all day to find them! They will spend a lot of time searching for the treats and will love you for it!
- Hire a Dog Walker:
For about ten dollars a day (depending on where you live) you can hire a local dog walker. This will not only prevent your dog from going to the bathroom in your home and will provide fresh air and exercise! I have hired an excellent dog walker who my dogs love. When I work long shifts my chihuahuas sure appreciate the company!